Friday, January 10, 2014

Owl Family in Osaka

On our vacation, we went to visit an Owl Cafe. I have experience with cat cafes, but I did not expect that one could interact with the owls in the same manner. The cafe we went to was called Owl Family. We showed up a little before 1 and hovered around the door, not sure what we should do. The windows had blinds down with pictures and a video playing of people petting and holding owls. We were also trying to decipher the sign because it looked like they were closing at different times due to the New Year. I think someone inside heard us speaking in English and poked out with a signup sheet. After signing up for 1 PM we walked around a shopping arcade; people were outside a restaurant pounding mochi with a giant hammer, which was neat to see. Time flew by and we quickly walked back to the cafe.
 
The same woman popped out and started calling names from the list. Finally, we went in. It cost ¥1,000 per person for 1 hour. We sat at tables that were very close together and listened to the instructions and rules (in Japanese) while we tried to follow along on our directly-translated paper. Rob and I figured it was best if we just watched what everyone else did to figure out what we should do (which was obviously the best move). We got up when everyone else got up and walked over to the owls. All the owls had a rope around one leg to prevent them from flying away which was good because some tried to fly away. Staff members monitored all the owls while they helped customers.
 
[ OWLS! ]
 
I know owls as predators with sharp beaks and talons, but the other customers were not at all nervous about handling dangerous predators. I was shocked! We could pet them and hold them on our forearm, shoulder or head. I monitored the situation before I would let these raptors near my arms and face. Once I deemed, it safe I stood in line to hold the big owl. I told the lady “watashi wa kowai” which means I am scared, with a big nervous smile on my face. She showed me how to pet the owl but this owl had a little bit of an attitude so I figured posing for a picture was a much safer bet. Rob then held the bird, pet it, and posed for a picture, like a boss.  

[Rob holding the big owl like a boss]

[We got to hold other owls too!]
 
We were able to hold a bunch of owls and snagged some cute pictures. It was an amazing experience! I think the owls are all for sale, but holding them for an hour was enough for me (although I would definitely go back). It was safe and the staff were very helpful.

I would definitely do it again, and I would recommend it to anyone who has some free time in Osaka.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment